Monday, February 04, 2008

The Bridges of Madison County

My eyes are moist. My cheeks are tear stained. And my mind is still. Just conjuring the thoughts of Robert Kincaid and Francesca Johnson.
I just finished reading 'The Bridges of Madison County'. When I picked up this book, I never realised, I would turn the last page shut with a tear trickling down my face.
Immediately after I completed reading the book, my mind started thinking of all the ways Francesca Johnson would have exhibited her will to stop contacting Robert Kincaid, all the years of self control, all the years when she may have debated within herself if she was doing the right thing by commiting the act of 'adultery' or did she every use that term within her? And yes, what transpired between Richard and Francesca. Did he ever realise what was happening?

I just could not stop myself fromm googling more about this novel and simultaeneously wondering as to whom I was feeling sorry for.All the three for the way destiny had shaped their lives?

And before I could conclude, I chanced upon the results of my googling. And viola! These sites claimed that 'The Bridges of Madison County' was in fact a work of fiction but conceptualised like a true story. I heaved a sigh of relief. And my tears stopped flowing.

I also chanced upon a site where a discussion happened as to why the author, Robert James Waller gave the effect that this was a true story.

The images of the county are still etched in my mind and I can still feel the old truck, the hot summer afternoon, the presence of Robert, Francesca...is this what they mean by the term 'Lasting Effect'?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooozzzzz... i too would pick it up then...

Sindhu said...

You should..though I don't know when you are going to finish the previous book u picked:)

Sreelatha Ramakrishnan said...

sindhu, after reading this i was so tempted to read the book and i spotted the movie b4 i cld get hold of the book. i saw the mve, very touchy and emotional. Now iam all inspired to read the book.

Sindhu said...

Oh yes...read it and you will certainly feel the emotions roll...

Srividya said...

oh wow! now I need to get a copy of this book

Sindhu said...

Hi Srividya,
Thnx for visiting..yes..pick up tht book:)