Thursday, February 14, 2008

Creamed!!!!

No, I don't feel embarassed to do it. In fact I love doing it.
In fact most of you would have done it at some point of your childhood.

I am talking about splitting a cream biscuit into two and licking the cream off neatly from the biscuit. I still do it. It is one of the pleasures of life- taking a crisp biscuit filled with luxurious cream, splitting it into two, careful enough not to break the slice and then resting the cream filled layer on the tongue. Wow..it's heavenly!

When I was a kid, I used to love 'Bourbon' bisuits because of its delicious chocolate layer inside. I still love Bourbon biscuits. As more marketers came into picture, my preferences became large. I had a whole load of options to choose from:) Still, Bourbon remained my top favourite cream biscuit. The chocolate layer inside was rich enough to tempt anybody, even someone who had vowed to remain on a strong diet plan! And even today, Bourbon biscuits do bring in a memory of my childhood where, in school we used to find these bisuits in our snack boxes, munch them while travelling in the bus....

Soon, Jimjam introduced its jam biscuit. It was certainly a pleasant variation to find the taste of jam within the crispy encounters. And the way the jam used to stick as I used to bite into the biscuit was a pleasure:) And the bright pink packaging certainly appealed to the senses. It was attractive to catch the consumer's eye while shopping. Neat!

Britannia next introduced Pure Magic and this was absolute ecstacy. Imagine rich choclate melting within the territories of your tongue as you engulf into its crispiness. Wow! What a treat it was/is! Two circular biscuits joined together by a rich layer of chocolate cream. It was a treat for a chocolholic like me. Hostel rooms always had a stock of this pack. The purple packaging again was attractive. There was a period when I used to walk down to nearest potti kadai just to buy this pack of biscuit. I used to be hugely disaapointed if I could not find this. I tried dipping this biscuit in tea and it was ultimately heavenly to taste the melting chocolate cream.

I firmly belive that to taste a cream biscuit is to sepearte the two layers of biscuit and polish off the cream inside. Infact, it is the cream that lends flavour to the biscuit.

12 comments:

Sreelatha Ramakrishnan said...

i totally agree, thats the way to eat the biscuit and remember not to count the calories. Happy valentines day sindhu.

Sindhu said...

Hey..thanx Sheelu:)

Vinesh said...

hey sindhu! i definitely did that as a child (and do that now *grin*)

but more with orange cream biscuits than chocolate! :-) good to see a post dedicating to licking cream :-)

Sindhu said...

oh yea.orange treat was one of my favourite biscuits:) Thnx for visiting..

Sindhu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kriti said...

Ahha!!! Childhood days revisited!!
I did this "licking off the cream" thing with every biscuit excpet the Elaichi cream ones [:P]

Sindhu said...

Kriti,yes...revisited:) nice to see yr comment here:)

Arun Sundar said...

I had a grandpa when I was a kid and he bought us Bourbon everytime he visited us. I started calling him 'Bourbon thaatha' and he is still called so in our family circle. Your post reminded me of him and the biscuit. Bourbon used to be my fav cream bichi..err..cream biscuit too :)

Sindhu said...

Hi Arun,
I think bourbon was a hit with kids of all ages ..meaning even adults..till this date the craze for anything chocolate never seems to hv faded.
Thnx for visiting my page:)

Inner mirror said...

SOOOPER topic Sindhu,
Creaming (the way you call licking:-)) )evokes such a pleasure even while reading..eheheheh
Bourbon was,is (looks like would be) my favourite biscuit...
I love the dark biscuits, chocolate cream and sugar sprinkled bourbon!!..
Whenever my grandpa visits us its Bourbon time, 99% of the time he never missed it..
Whenever I think of bourbon I miss both the biscuits and my grandpa:-)))

you know now why I throw up huge numbers on a weigh ing scale ( sheepish grin)!!!

Srividya said...

You've been tagged :)
http://srivsank.blogspot.com/2008/02/tag-know-your-alphabets.html

Sindhu said...

thnx Viji:) wish we hd those biscuits during our coffee breaks:)
Sriviya,
Yes..done:)