Sunday, January 06, 2008

The Good Old Broom

I was just cleaning my kitchen with our vacuum cleaner when I realised I missed the good old broom-the most simple device for effective cleaning. I am sure you will agree with my as to why I say so. So, here I go dedicating this post to the broom at my house-the Monkey Brand one.

The broom has several names in Tamil-thodapam, seemaru, velakkamaru,chool(by palakkad iyers).
It has occupied a firm place even in fantasies and fiction. Remember reading 'Sabrina-the teenage witch'? Doesn't she fly across with her broom?
The broom has lasted for ages.
It has conquered even the dustiest of places and has remained invincible despite the introduction of the vacuum cleaner.


Now here are a few reasons why a broom reigns supreme over a vacuum cleaner.

a) It is cheaper.
b) It occupies less space in the house.
c) It is easily available in any provision store.
d) It is easily portable. Maybe you can even dispose it when you move and buy a new one.
e) It does'nt use electricity. So it saves power.
f) Also, it is not interrupted by the power cuts. Hence you can use it anytime.
g) It is made of a natural fibre.
h) You dispose the dust immediately in contrast to that of the vacuum cleaner where the dust accumulates in the dust bag for sometime.
i) Anyone can use it-even children
j) It can remove dirt/dust particles that are larger in size and which would not go into the tiny gap that a vacuum cleaner offers.
k) It can never go out of service-hence no repairs would apply.
l)It offers a good form of exercise because if you have to clean beneath your cot or your study table, you need to bend and stretch whereas a vacuum cleaner offers you the comfort of just inserting the tube.
m) It is faster. If you are in a hurry to go to work and you have just a couple pf minutes, all you have to do is grab the broom and swish-swash-the kitchen is clean. On the other hand, if you are using a vacuum cleaner, you need to bring it to the kitchen, insert the plug, see if the right dust panel is connected, move it inch by inch, switch of, remove the plug, move the vacuum cleaner back to its place.
The list is endless.

I seriously contemplate bringing a set of brooms by some airlines the next time I visit my motherland.
What say???

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

First - you have a good writing style.. second - I think the concept of a broom is still relevant (I for one would use it if available) I think its marketing that makes the Vacuum sound superior.. (Go Marketing!) :) Good one.. keep em coming.

Anonymous said...

I will not carry the broom !!! :-)

Sindhu said...

Hey Shekhs..thnx:)
And as far as marketing goes, the broom never needed nor needs marketing and it still sustains and reigns suprme:):)

Dummu,
We shall discuss that..:):)

Anonymous said...

yeah all is well as long us the floor is carpeted...In this part of the world these guys carpet almost all rooms except kitchen & bath
And I miss the broom immensely there!!!, we have the plastic ones-believe me they are not my favorite...
Then cleaning is not my favorite (I would prefer my sis or my hubby do it!!!-tho I still need to do it :((...)

Sindhu said...

Rite Viji...when the floor is carpeted, it is difficult.
Ah.well..it is not surprisig that u expect ur husband to clean..;-))

Ramc said...

ippo ethukku vilakkamaru pathi pechu ! Veetla kuduthathu damage agiducha ? Adi balama ?

Anonymous said...

Ramc machi, shall v take this offline to maintain the sanctity of this blog ? - Santhosh

Sindhu said...

veetla vacuum cleaner thaane kuduthirukaanga!!! next quesnkku ungalukku gbadhil varumnnu pakshi sollithu!!!